Monday, April 09, 2012

Samu still undecided over Classics















With less than a week to go 'till the Amstel Gold Race, Samuel Sánchez is yet to make his mind up if he'll travel to Holland or not. The recently crowned champion of the Vuelta al País Vasco is careful not to overdo it ahead of his mid-summer target.

"It's up in the air", he said of his participation in the hilly classics. "Now I'll enjoy my win in País Vasco, and then we'll decide. It's an Olympic year, so the schedule's pretty packed and there's not a lot of time between Liège-Bastogne-Liège and the Dauphiné. It's important that I plan the season well - I'm not a young rider anymore either".

With the Tour de France and the London Olympics forming the crux of Samu's second part of 2012, the Euskaltel leader is contemplating doing like a certain Australian did last year to reach his July goals in peak form.

"Look at Cadel Evans last year: he planned his season very well and eventually won the Tour de France. If the Tour's the objective, we have to start looking towards it now and do what's best with that race in mind. If I were to take a break now, I might be a bit more calm when the Tour and the Games come around".

3 comments:

azanca02 said...

he at least needs to do one of them. Valverde will surely be the biggest favorite this year.

Stephen said...

He is still to decide his target in the TDF, podium or another polka dot jersey. Much as I'd like to think it possible I can't see him defending his olympic crown, the course is probably too easy to make a serious selection and had a long run from the last hill to the line....so while he is in form I'd go for one of the classics, after all anything can happen when you ride at the speed these guys do so I say enjoy your form and fitness while you can.

Nick said...

Sanchez skipped PN for the first time in a while this year too, so the racing days in his legs are minimal compared to years past.

I'd love to see him do Fleche, considering the shorter distance, and the "relatively" easy racing until the Muur.

Let Anton have the leadership for LBL

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers