Friday, April 20, 2012

Izagirre: "I'm fine"
















Gorka Izagirre might still make it to Liège on Sunday. The Flèche Wallone crash victim insists he's ready for the brutal conclusion to the Classics season - despite only yesterday being bandaged up from top to toe.

"My right hand and shoulder are worst off - I'm struggling to lean on the handlebars. But I have no problem turning the cranks. Of course, I've got scrapes all over: both my knees, both hands, my shoulders, my chin, my hips and my butt. I haven't gotten a full night's sleep yet, but I've gotten some sleep. I went for a 75-minute training ride with my team-mates though, and everything worked just fine. My legs? They're good. I told Gorka Gerrikagoitia I'll do Liège-Bastogne-Liège", he told el Diario Vasco.

Speaking of the fall itself, Izagirre is adamant it was all his own making.

"I was eating an energy bar, some guys ahead of me hit the brakes, I ran into them, and I crashed. It was my own fault".

Despite his strong desire to take part in the fourth Monument of 2012, the 24-year-old is aware it really isn't about him. If he's not recovered sufficiently to make a difference on Sunday, he'd rather see a completely fit team-mate take his place on the team.

"I'll be honest with myself and the team. We'll see how it evolves, but it's obviously not in Euskaltel's best interests if a guy at 50 percent lines up. I'll ride if I'm willing up for it. If I'm not ready, I won't mislead anyone".

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Class and courage, I have high hopes for this guy in the years - hopefully - to come

Anonymous said...

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever
work and exposure! Keep up the awesome works guys I've included you guys to my blogroll.

Review my website: cash advance jacksonville

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers