Saturday, October 22, 2011

Martín closing in on new team



















Noel Martín, released by Orbea at the end of the season, is edging closer to finding a ride for 2012. Iban Mayo Blog reported earlier this week that the 21-year-old was struggling, like so many other young Spaniards, to find a team on a cycling scene mired deeper and deeper in crisis - highlighted by Geox-TMC's sudden demise a couple of days ago. The native of Ávila now reveals he's got a plan B in the increasingly likely scenario that no Continental teams come knocking.

"I'll ride for amateur outfit Supermercados-Froiz next year if I don't find a Conti-team", the likeable youngster told Iban Mayo Blog yesterday.

Big-hitting amateur team Supermercados-Froiz count former pro Moises Dueñas Nevado among its ranks and has at times this season dominated the Spanish circuit. Martín is hoping a strong season can catapult him back into the big-league in 2013.

"I'm still looking for a professional team, but if I don't succeed I'll aim for a strong season on the amateur circuit in the hope of getting back among the pros a year later."

The always-aggressive rider admits not being retained by Orbea was hard to take at first, but thanks fans and family for the support that got him going again.

"To be perfectly honest, I've been going through some bad times", he told Ciclista y Ciclismo. "But thanks to all of those who've showed their support and belief in me, I've realized I need to keep riding both for them and for my own part. I've still got many kilometres ahead of me."

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers