Saturday, August 27, 2011

Results & reactions

Igor Antón was naturally pleased with his performance in today's eighth stage of the Vuelta a España. Speaking to reporters post-stage, the diminutive climber was sounding optimistic. "I'm happy. A performance like this was as necessary for me as water is for the month of May", he stated philosophically (and rather strangely). "The stages prior have been tough for me. I've gone from suffering to being close to the best, which is important for my morale. I'm slowly getting better and better, and hopefully I'll rediscover my best form. Tomorrow's stage features a climb (the Covatilla) which is hard, but which I nonetheless have fond memories of. We did the climb back in the 2006 edition and I liked the ascent. Rodríguez is looking really strong and is the favourite as he's won two stages and is in red."


Stage results:
  • 6th, Antón, 0:15
  • 13th, Nieve, 0:20
  • 42nd, Martínez, 1:15
  • 48th, Txurruka, 1:42
  • 58th, Oroz, 2:08
  • 75th, Azanza, 3:42
  • 90th, Isasi, 6:19
  • 96th, Verdugo, 6:27
  • 123rd, Cazaux, 15:30
Of note was Txurruka's ride. He attacked on the third-to-last climb and quickly built up a decent gap. He was inevitably reeled in before the penultimate climb but still proved his form is there or thereabouts. His pedal-stroke looked decent and I reckon he'll be strong in the last two weeks if he avoids crashes and the like.

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers